boot code (was Re: ASCII art boot menu is slow?)

To: Simon 'corecode' Schubert <corecode@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Mark Cullen <mark.cullen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 14:06:10 +0100

Simon 'corecode' Schubert wrote:
On 22.10.2004, at 12:20, Simon 'corecode' Schubert wrote:

On the subject of booting, I don't suppose you know how to get rid of
the bootloader type thing? When I boot up it has like
F1 BSD
I've found boot0cfg which seems as though it 'installs' that, but I
can't see anything about actually removing it?

Boot from a DOS bootdisk and run "fdisk /mbr" to clear that out.
There's a way to do it using the BSD fdisk and boot0cfg, but I don't recall how off the top of my head. It's in the man pages for those two, though.

I have two different answers! Matt says I can't really get rid of it, but can install someone elses, and that I should just reduce the timeout if it's too long.

Here comes the third:

boot0cfg -B -b /boot/mbr

It was too soon, obviously. This is wrong.

You, of course, need to do it the fdisk /mbr way:

fdisk -B $dev

That makes sense. I just got around to googling the command you suggested before and people were saying it had to be:

fdisk -B -b /boot/mbr $dev

So I did that, and looking at the manpage it's equivilent to just -B as the -b option defaults to /boot/mbr anyway. It asked me if I wanted to change the boot code, so I said yes. It then proceeded to ask me if I wanted to write a new partition table, I said no to that one. Sound about right?

I shall reboot and keep my fingers crossed as soon as the machine finishes copying stuff from over from NFS.

we already carry a simple mbr (in comparison to the boot manager boot0) which can be installed.

and, as we learned, needs to be written with another tool :)

cheers
   simon

--
Internet Explorer? Try FireFox at http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/