Re: ASCII art boot menu is slow?

To: Freddie Cash <fcash-ml@xxxxxxxxxx>
From: Mark Cullen <mark.cullen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 22:57:17 +0100

Freddie Cash wrote:
On October 21, 2004 12:12 pm, Mark Cullen wrote:

On the subject of booting, I don't suppose you know how to get rid of
the bootloader type thing? When I boot up it has like
F1  BSD
I've found boot0cfg which seems as though it 'installs' that, but I
can't see anything about actually removing it?

Boot from a DOS bootdisk and run "fdisk /mbr" to clear that out.

There's a way to do it using the BSD fdisk and boot0cfg, but I don't recall how off the top of my head. It's in the man pages for those two, though.

I have two different answers! Matt says I can't really get rid of it, but can install someone elses, and that I should just reduce the timeout if it's too long.

I know during FreeBSD's install there's some option where you can install this menu, or a 'plain' one, or leave it alone. I usually installed this plain thing on machines that only had the one OS on it, so I didn't get the menu appear.

Will the fdisk /mbr thing work? I've used it before to get rid of things like lilo, but I always thought it just reinstalled some Windows style boot bits so that it'll boot Windows?

--
Internet Explorer? Try FireFox at http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/
Outlook Express? Try ThunderBird at http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/