Re: ASCII art boot menu is slow?

From: Freddie Cash <fcash-ml@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 15:32:24 -0700

On October 21, 2004 02:57 pm, you wrote:
> I have two different answers! Matt says I can't really get rid of it,
> but can install someone elses, and that I should just reduce the
> timeout if it's too long.

> I know during FreeBSD's install there's some option where you can
> install this menu, or a 'plain' one, or leave it alone. I usually
> installed this plain thing on machines that only had the one OS on
> it, so I didn't get the menu appear.

> Will the fdisk /mbr thing work? I've used it before to get rid of
> things like lilo, but I always thought it just reinstalled some
> Windows style boot bits so that it'll boot Windows?

It's worked for me on the three laptops I've tried it on.  But they were
all new installs and I wasn't too worried about things blowing up (not
that they ever did).

I'd boot using a Windows 98 Startup Disk, run "fdisk /mbr", reboot using
either CD2 for FreeBSD or the DFly install CD, and install a generic
BSD boot record without the boot manager (the examples in DFly's
UPDATING and the boot0cfg man page are helpful).  Probably could have
skipped the fdisk step, but it's the one I've always used from my
DOS/Windows/OS/2 days.

--
Freddie Cash, CCNT CCLP        Helpdesk / Network Support Tech.
School District 73             (250) 377-HELP [377-4357]