Re: ASCII art boot menu is slow?

To: justin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Mark Cullen <mark.cullen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 20:12:09 +0100

justin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
I'm going to install it on a spare machine and see if I can set it up
how my home server is running now. Another quickie (this one does matter
somewhat though) .. it seems you're using IPFW2, is the plan to keep
this around or are you going to be 'migrating' to pf or something? I
like IPFW2 :)

Reading back now, that's -V, not -v, for video-only boot.  There's
probably a way to put it in a file in /boot/ to get that behavior
full-time.

pf has been added in:
http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/mailarchive/kernel/2004-09/msg00212.html -
there's another associated component that's not done yet, but I've been
out of the loop, so I don't know the status.

I did a man boot and saw boot.config mentioned. So, I went ahead and made me a /boot.config with just -V in it, and sure enough the slowness problem disappeared :) Thanks for the hint!

On the subject of booting, I don't suppose you know how to get rid of the bootloader type thing? When I boot up it has like

F1 BSD

I've found boot0cfg which seems as though it 'installs' that, but I can't see anything about actually removing it?
--
Internet Explorer? Try FireFox at http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/
Outlook Express? Try ThunderBird at http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/