Re: ASCII art boot menu is slow?

From: "Simon 'corecode' Schubert" <corecode@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 13:54:04 +0200

On 22.10.2004, at 12:20, Simon 'corecode' Schubert wrote:
On the subject of booting, I don't suppose you know how to get rid of
the bootloader type thing? When I boot up it has like
F1 BSD
I've found boot0cfg which seems as though it 'installs' that, but I
can't see anything about actually removing it?
Boot from a DOS bootdisk and run "fdisk /mbr" to clear that out.
There's a way to do it using the BSD fdisk and boot0cfg, but I don't recall how off the top of my head. It's in the man pages for those two, though.
I have two different answers! Matt says I can't really get rid of it, but can install someone elses, and that I should just reduce the timeout if it's too long.
Here comes the third:

boot0cfg -B -b /boot/mbr

It was too soon, obviously. This is wrong.

You, of course, need to do it the fdisk /mbr way:

fdisk -B $dev

we already carry a simple mbr (in comparison to the boot manager boot0) which can be installed.

and, as we learned, needs to be written with another tool :)

cheers
  simon

--
/"\