Re: NUMA memory support

From: David Rhodus <sdrhodus@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 03:11:03 +0000

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 19:09:31 +0200, Enemy God <jasse@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I just installed 22-okt gcc2 snapshot (gcc3 chokes too much) in my brand
> new dual opterom machine and I noticed that DFly finds my 2 Gb of RAM.
>
> Mighty cool indeed, because I didn't belived DFly would find the memory
> attachet to CPU1.
>
> Is this a feature of the AMD 8k chipset or is NUMA memory supported in DFly?
>
> Oh, is it possible to build a native 64bit version of DFly right away?
>
>      Jasse - The one but not the only

The NUMA memory addressing support is built into the hardware, to be
specific the bios.  But to truly take advantage of NUMA the operating
system needs to differentiate things on the per-cpu bases.  The
per-cpu segmentation is a part of the fundamental design and
implementation of DragonFly. This allows for DragonFly to achieve
enhanced performance and greater reliability over other operating
systems.

--
                                            -David
                                            Steven David Rhodus