Re: Is there a way to install DragonFly via network (w/o CD) ?

From: esmith <esmith@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2004 01:00:38 -0400

George Georgalis wrote:
 it might be worthwhile poling that
network for nameservers from dhcp, broadcast and ptr/arp, then a control
panel could exclude mac addresses in dhcpd.conf, match subnet, spoof arp
and get a bunch of IPs from the authoritative dhcp... maybe.

That's the right direction. I had thought about using broadcast to determine if another dhcp server was running and requesting that the user of our temporary dhcp server shut off the normal dhcp server before we would allow our dhcp server to start but, this idea of using broadcast to collect MAC addresses for filtering is what was missing.

How about this as an algorithm?

1) installer starts, and user selects pxeboot server ( or some other name )
2) installer broadcasts for dhcp servers, installer refuses to continue until other dhcp servers are shut off
3) installer requests that all computers that desire to be pxebooted be shut off now, and waits for user input to continue
4) on user input, installer broadcasts and collects all MAC addresses of computers currently running
5) the installer adds these MAC addresses to dhcpd.conf and configures the installer's dhcp server so those MAC addresses never be served by the installer's dhcpd
6) the installer starts all needed services ( dhcpd, tftp, nfs )
7) the installer informs the user that any computers turned on now with a lan-boot option will be lan-booted from our installer's services
8) users lan-boot now, while any other computer whoose lease expires during this time will wait until the regular dhcp server starts again.
9) when all desired computers are finished lan-booting the user of the installer shuts off the lan-boot services, and informs the user of the installer that it is safe to restart the regular dhcp server
10) the installer user restarts the regular dhcp server and is now finished