Re: Is there a way to install DragonFly via network (w/o CD) ?

From: "George Georgalis" <george@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2004 00:21:40 -0400

On Fri, Oct 15, 2004 at 10:03:34AM -0700, Matthew Dillon wrote:

>    And then we make a control panel on the server, or allow the server to
>    slave to another machine a chain its pxebooted 'children'...  and then,
>    and then...  This is one of those things that could easily snowball into
>    a seriously cool interface while at the same time maintaining the KISS
>    principle of always being able to ssh into the target box as 'installer'
>    or 'root' directly.

or 'clusternode' :) as long as NFS is already available. But more on
thread, it seems to me, running a pxe-bootp on anything but an isolated
network would be risky. As discussed, some rules or procedure would have
be applied to stop undesired hosts from getting PXEed. If running bootp
from the cd in a heterozygous network, it might be worthwhile poling that
network for nameservers from dhcp, broadcast and ptr/arp, then a control
panel could exclude mac addresses in dhcpd.conf, match subnet, spoof arp
and get a bunch of IPs from the authoritative dhcp... maybe.

// George

--
George Georgalis, systems architect, administrator Linux BSD IXOYE
http://galis.org/george/ cell:646-331-2027 mailto:george@xxxxxxxxx