Re: Is there a way to install DragonFly via network (w/o CD) ?

From: Emiel Kollof <coolvibe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 14:59:46 +0200

Op vrijdag 15 oktober 2004 11:54, schreef Simon 'corecode' Schubert:
> On 15.10.2004, at 04:58, Matthew Dillon wrote:
> >     And I would like to congratulate the installer team yet again!  I
> > thought
> >     I was going to have to suggest that we make the installer work
> > from a
> >     pxebooted client as a warm-up to the new options.  But, well,
> > actually
> >     it seems it already *DOES* work from a pxebooted client :-).  I
> > didn't
> >     have to touch a thing.  I just logged in as 'installer' and it
> > worked!
> >     Wow!
>
> yea, that rocks. Now the installer team could set the last polish by
> adding a way to do a remote install from the nfs server (or else) as
> controlling terminal :) Then you don't even need a head to install a
> box, interactively.

There is a caveat though... In the new installer, where you configure the
network, it should realize that it's already running with a network and
should not attempt to run dhclient or mess with ifconfig since that will
bring on a whole different world of pain (talk about having the floor
disappear from under you). I found this out the hard way when I was
netboot/pxe-installing my laptop (which doesn't have a cd-rom drive) with
dfbsd a few months back. (yes, it worked back then too).

Cheers,
Emiel
--
Hlade's Law:
 If you have a difficult task, give it to a lazy person -- they