Re: (dhcpd.conf update) Re: Is there a way to install DragonFly via network (w/o CD) ?

From: esmith <esmith@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 06:00:59 -0400

Matthew Dillon wrote:
I did some more experimentation and, unfortunately, it looks like the BIOS PXE boot code (at least the one on my machine) seems to accept
correct information, preventing proper operation. This could wind up
being an issue for cable and dsl modem based dhcp servers but it should
not be a problem if you are simply running two dhcp servers from UNIX
boxes as you can program your primary dhcp server to ignore the
PXEClient vendor class. I checked the BOOTP kernel code and it will
ignore responses from servers that do not supply a root path, so at
least the kernel will ignore them.

There's one other problem, in the reverse situation. Consider the machines that do not want to pxeboot. They will recieve two responses for dynamic IPs and they will keep the second response, even if it comes from our pxeboot dhcp server and not the normal dhcp server. This may or may not cause a problem but, it leaves the possibility open for one to occur.