Re: Is there a way to install DragonFly via network (w/o CD) ?

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 19:31:20 -0700 (PDT)

:Excellent.  I've already drafted some other options to deal with
:starting a DHCPD server, etc.    It's located at
:http://www.bsdinstaller.org/pfi_dhcpd_plan.txt .   These items would be
:able to reside on a CF card, floppy, CD, etc and could automatically
:start the DHCPD server, etc from PFI.
:
:In addition to your installer menu items, we can go ahead and prompt for
:the relevant information instead of using default parameters?   IE: You
:could invoke one option that would ask a series of question like "Do you
:wish to obtain an IP address from the network", etc.   "Do you wish to
:start a DHCP Server on this network?", etc.
:
:-Scott

    I think for it to be useful the menu options should be as simple as
    possible.  So if someone has a couple of machines in a lab they can
    just specify the appropriate server menu item and that's it, they're
    done and can then pxe boot the other machines.

    But of course we won't know for sure what 'useful' means until its
    actually implemented.

    I will do some testing on my LAN to see if it is possible to run separate
    IP and BOOT services, for those situations where one already has an IP
    server (e.g. cable or dsl modem) and only wants additional boot services.

					<dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>