Re: Is there a way to install DragonFly via network (w/o CD) ?

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 17:44:00 -0700 (PDT)

:The issues with network configuration and such for DHCPD could easily be
:handled by pfi (pre-flight installer).  Docs for this area available at:
:
:http://www.bsdinstaller.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/installer/root_skels/installer/etc/defaults/pfi.conf?rev=1.3&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup
:
:At any rate, if nobody else is working on this, this would be an ideal
:addition to the installer and should be very easy to accomplish.   If
:nobody else minds, I can tackle this pretty quickly with PFI.
:
:Regards,
:
:Scott

    Sure, go for it!  But lets define what we want first.  Presumably we
    want to add some options to the installer's base menu and/or add logins
    for this stuff, in addition to being able to automate it with a CD or
    CD+USB diskkey combo.  Right?

    Hmm.  Is it possible to have one DHCP server distribute just IP addresses
    (e.g. like your home cablemodem/dsl router), and another DHCP server
    distribute only DHCP/BOOTP boot-related requests?  Maybe I should
    experiment a bit.

    so, e.g. pfi variables would be something like

	# Enable tftp and NFS services with pxeboot and a kernel available via
	# tftp and the CD's root mount available via NFS.
	#
	pfi_boot_tftp_server="YES"
	pfi_boot_nfs_server="YES"

	# Enable DHCP related pxeboot services:  root-path and filename specs
	#
	pfi_boot_pxeserver="YES"

	# Enable DHCP related dynamic IP address services.  This server will
	# assign IP addresses to requesting clients in the 10.1.0.0-10.1.255.255
	# range.
	#
	pfi_boot_ipserver="YES"

	[I'm not sure if pxe and ip services can be separately enabled since
	 they are both served from the same dhcp server, but it might be
	 possible]

    And the new installer menu options would be something like this:

	* Start TFTPD, NFSD, and PXE BOOT services without IP serving.  This
	  machine will obtain its IP address automatically via DHCP.

	* Start TFTPD, NFSD, and PXE BOOT services with IP serving.  This
	  machine will be assigned the IP address 10.1.0.1