Support for Cluster of SMP (or workstation) in DragonFly

From: "Noah Yan" <yanyh@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 17:26:11 -0600

Hi, all

I am new in DragonFly and just found this very interesting thing. I read
some doc about it but still several questions on it. (but some may be too
out-of-scope or too naive, please do forgive)

1. In the initial motivation, DFL seems targeting on SMP machie(memory are
hardware shared in most case from my understanding). So is there any
consideration how those ides(like LWKT, IPI, messaging) support cluster of
SMP (or workstations) where messaging passing are the most common
programming model,and co-scheduling of parallel applications and global
synchronization accross cluster are major issues in them.

2. Any benchmarks, or performance evaluation about DFl with other Unix?

3. What would impact the application programmer by introducing these new
features?

4. Any consideration in DFl to please and take advantage of the new
architecture advancements, like hyperthreading, multi-core (or
chip-multithreading) in P4/Xeon, UltraSPARC IV, Power 4, etc

5. more may come ... :)

Thanks very much in advance
Noah Yan