Re: port problems after update to DragonFly_Stable

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 12:07:09 -0700 (PDT)

:Thanks for the answer, but I'm still a little confused: doesn't it apply
:to kernel modules ?
:
:I put the following values in my make.conf:
:
:CFLAGS=-Os -pipe
:COPTFLAGS=-O -pipe
:
:It seems to me that I get some files compiled with -O (kernel) and
:others with -Os (modules) (output taken from the same buildkernel):
:...
:
:I thought that the reasons to use COPTFLAGS should be valid for kernel
:modules too, or am I wrong ?

    You are right, there's some breakage in the build process.  The module
    build was originally intended to be 'independant' of the kernel build
    (this is what we inherited from the FreeBSD build system).  That turned
    out to be a big mistake, IMHO, since it is obvious to me that modules
    pretty much have to be compiled along with the kernel they are going to
    be loaded into.

    I don't consider it a high priority for myself right now, but if someone
    else would like to have a go at fixing it please be my guest!

					<dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>