Re: port problems after update to DragonFly_Stable

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 00:31:58 -0700 (PDT)

:I rebuilt the system with the latest DragonFly_Stable and the problems
:are gone, so maybe I just messed up something with the previous build

    That's good.

:I noticed the following thing anyway:
:The file make.conf mention the variable COPTFLAGS as follows:
:
:# To compile just the kernel with special optimizations, you should use
:# this instead of CFLAGS (which is not applicable to kernel builds anyway).
:# There is very little to gain by using higher optimization levels, and
:doing
:# so can cause problems.
:#
:#COPTFLAGS= -O -pipe
:
: From what I know, if COPTFLAGS is defined it should be used in place of
:CFLAGS during a kernel compile, but it seems that buildkernel keeps
:using CFLAGS. Is this variable no longer used in DragonFly ?
:
:Marco

    buildkernel does use COPTFLAGS from /etc/make.conf when building kernel
    source files.  Helper programs built during the kernel build are built
    using CFLAGS as per normal.  However, if there is a
    'makeoptions COPTFLAGS="blah blah"' in the kernel configuration file,
    that will override anything in /etc/make.conf.

					<dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>