Re: port problems after update to DragonFly_Stable

From: Marco Righele <marco_righele@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 13:03:35 +0000

Matthew Dillon wrote:

buildkernel does use COPTFLAGS from /etc/make.conf when building kernel
source files. Helper programs built during the kernel build are built
using CFLAGS as per normal. However, if there is a 'makeoptions COPTFLAGS="blah blah"' in the kernel configuration file, that will override anything in /etc/make.conf.

Thanks for the answer, but I'm still a little confused: doesn't it apply to kernel modules ?

I put the following values in my make.conf:

CFLAGS=-Os -pipe
COPTFLAGS=-O -pipe

It seems to me that I get some files compiled with -O (kernel) and others with -Os (modules) (output taken from the same buildkernel):

cc -c -O -pipe -march=athlon -Wall -Wredundant-decls -Wnested-externs -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Winline -Wcast-qual -ansi -g -nostdinc -I. -I/usr/src/sys -I/usr/src/sys/../include -I/usr/src/sys/contrib/dev/acpica -I/usr/src/sys/contrib/ipfilter -D_KERNEL -include opt_global.h -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -fno-common -ffreestanding /usr/src/sys/dev/disk/advansys/adv_isa.c

<cut>

===> bus/firewire
cc -Os -pipe -march=athlon -D_KERNEL -Wall -Wredundant-decls -Wnested-externs -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Winline -Wcast-qual -ansi -DKLD_MODULE -nostdinc -I. -I@ -I@/../include -g -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -fno-common -ffreestanding -Wall -Wredundant-decls -Wnested-externs -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Winline -Wcast-qual -ansi -c /usr/src/sys/bus/firewire/firewire.c

I thought that the reasons to use COPTFLAGS should be valid for kernel modules too, or am I wrong ?