Re: Looking at giving DF a go... advice?

From: Roland Hammerle <romendo@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 13:26:00 +0200

justin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> As far as ports go: in general, check gobsd.com/packages - some ports can
> have trouble building, but pkg_add -r will get you the versions from
> gobsd.com that have already been successfully built.  Some of the packages
> are a bit older - I'm using KDE 3.2, for instance, and I don't think it's
> been updated on gobsd.com - but that doesn't hurt anything, really.  Plus,
> you don't have to wait ninety billion years for it to build.

Since I installed from ports recently, i.e. yesterday, I would like to add
my experiences here. KDE 3.3 (kdelibs, kdebase, kdenetworking, kdegraphics,
kdepim) all installed without major problems. There seem to be a few
dependency problems because it complained about missing autoconf/automake.
This was easily fixed by installing the corresponding port. I had to do a
make clean in a few places (I think pkgconfig) and fix one Makefile (it did
not know about MASTERDIR). Also, install fam (from dfports) first because
otherwise building it won't find some dependencies. Other than that
everything works fine and I got a shiny, new KDE 3.3.

-- Roland