Re: Looking at giving DF a go... advice?

From: justin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2004 13:12:54 -0400 (EDT)

> I guess what I am really asking is, is the massive instability stuff fixed
> up now? If I update to CURRENT am I likely to get a system that is stable
> for atleast 3 days usage? I'll need to update to CURRENT in order to get
> ndis support I think, it didn't seem to be included in the 13th September
> release. Another thing I have heard is the whole lots of ports broken
> thing.

Stick with the DragonFly_Stable branch for now
(/usr/share/examples/cvsup/DragonFly-stable-supfile if I recall correctly)
as the VFS work will definitely cause stability problems.  Generally,
running the latest version is not a problem, and is what I have been doing
for quite a while, but the VFS work is such a major change that you'll be
better off sticking with the stable version.  I think ndis support is in
there; you should be fine.

As far as ports go: in general, check gobsd.com/packages - some ports can
have trouble building, but pkg_add -r will get you the versions from
gobsd.com that have already been successfully built.  Some of the packages
are a bit older - I'm using KDE 3.2, for instance, and I don't think it's
been updated on gobsd.com - but that doesn't hurt anything, really.  Plus,
you don't have to wait ninety billion years for it to build.