Looking at giving DF a go... advice?

From: "Mark Cullen" <mark.cullen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2004 14:02:29 +0100

Hi all

At the moment I am using FreeBSD 6.0-CURRENT on my Laptop. It generally
works rather well. ndis seems to have broken over the last few days and ath
still doesn't want to work, but other than that it seems to be pretty
useable. I have downloaded an ISO of DF which had a date of 13th of
September, I believe this to be because of the instability after this date.
It seemed to boot alright, which has got my hopes up as I have to install
FreeBSD 5/6 by running safe mode and then patching agp_ali.c otherwise it
hangs and panics.

I guess what I am really asking is, is the massive instability stuff fixed
up now? If I update to CURRENT am I likely to get a system that is stable
for atleast 3 days usage? I'll need to update to CURRENT in order to get
ndis support I think, it didn't seem to be included in the 13th September
release. Another thing I have heard is the whole lots of ports broken thing.
I have quite alot of ports installed.. kde.. gnome... java etc etc etc...
enough to be a rather nice general purpose desktop/light programmers system.
Am I likely going to be able to achieve this with DF in it's current state?
Is there anything that's going to catch me out or is it all still very much
like using FreeBSD?

I've read through all of the website now I think, the work you're doing
sounds really interesting (even though I don't really understand much of it
:-)

Anyway, are there any pointers you could offer me?

Thanks in advance.