Re: FreeBSD-5's USB subsystem

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 12:07:36 -0800 (PST)

:...
:> Ummmm..... it never worked properly? It only recognised my USB mouse and
:> that's it? It keeled over and died whenever I tried to plug in my
:> camera? I'm sure others can come up with other examples of why it sucked...
:>
:> Trust me, kernel support for USB, and the relatively decent stuff in
:> there now is far and away much, much better...
:Correct me if I'm wrong, but dosen't usbd just, as it says in the man page,
:'supervise USB attach/detach'.  It dosen't have any device code (though, it
:will load some kernel modules if required), it pretty much just starts and stops
:applications.
:
:I totally agree that the USB code in 4.x is nasty, and the new stuff will be
:better :)
:
:Regards,
:
:--
:Kent Ibbetson

    Yah.  usbd hasn't changde all that much between 4.x and 5.x.  I think
    the main issue was that the 4.x kernel USB code depended on USBD being
    there to run through the attachment/detachment state machine properly
    ('properly' being a relative term here), whereas the 5.x kernel code
    has a little thread to do that.  USBD is still needed to execute
    external applications, but not running it no longer causes the kernel
    USB code to fall on its face.