Re: Anybody working on removing sendmail from base?

From: ibotty <bsd@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 22:29:25 +0200

06@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <20030927233131.4b3bd07c.cpressey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> [no event-oriented programming possible in current os]
> In fact that's mainly why I'm here.  I'm hoping it doesn't *have* to be
> this way.
>
> Will DragonFlyBSD allow me to write code like the above example?  Is the
> messaging abstraction intended to be solely for the benefit of the
> 'guts' of the operating system, or will user programs be able to use it
> as well - not just for writing more efficient code, but also more
> *elegant* code?  Perhaps a stickier question still - will I *ever* be
> able to write code like this in a *portable* way...?

yes, just it would not neccessarily be dragonflyBSD, that enables you to
write it that way, but dbus[1]. in the end we might want a way to propagate
these events from the kernel (your clock example maybe). this is perfectly
possible, when a wrapper above dbus exists.
additionally it should not be too hard to implement.

[1] http://www.freedesktop.org/software/dbus/

~ibotty