Re: Anybody working on removing sendmail from base?

From: Timothy Cava <timothy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 21:06:03 -0700

David Rhodus wrote:
<snip>

Before we can start to remove packages like sendmail we need to have established our packaging system. Perhaps starting to work on a new installer framework or a package control system would be more suited at this current time.

Somebody smarter than me will have to work on this, they're large projects that require direction. I'd have to start from scratch to know where that is...

Once we at least have our package control mechanism wrote and tested
only can we then look at removing large chunks of the tree. Trying to do
so at this stage is too early on and would only destabilize the system and
one that is not really in active development at this time.

It will be interesting to see our new system when it's written. Perhaps
I can help at a later date, once I have more time, know what language its in, the big picture, etc.

-Timothy