Re: Anybody working on removing sendmail from base?

From: David Rhodus <drhodus@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 08:20:39 -0400

On Thursday, September 25, 2003, at 12:27 AM, Timothy Cava wrote:

(Let's not bikeshed.)

Anybody working on this in their repository? I'm willing to try, myself,
but I'd like to know whether Matt would accept it, and what's really
necessary. I suppose I could check the mailing lists, but I had trouble
finding useful information last time. It was mostly flamage. I'm
basically just a user/sysadmin/c programmer, not a FreeBSD/DragonFlyBSD
internals expert, so..
Before we can start to remove packages like sendmail we need to have
established our packaging system. Perhaps starting to work on a new
installer framework or a package control system would be more suited
at this current time.

Once we at least have our package control mechanism wrote and tested
only can we then look at removing large chunks of the tree. Trying to do
so at this stage is too early on and would only destabilize the system and
one that is not really in active development at this time.

-DR