Re: Anybody working on removing sendmail from base?

From: Timothy Cava <timothy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 14:09:14 -0700

Timothy Cava wrote:
Hiten Pandya wrote:

Timothy,

Shouldn't this be something that the shell should do?

Regards,

Perhaps. FreeBSD doesn't take that approach, however, hence my
patch. I suppose I can make login not check, and do it with the
shell?

-Timothy

I don't mean to reply to myself, but you guys aren't missing the fact that login(1) checks MAIL at login time? It doesn't care whether it's a directory or a file, I consider this a bug. At the least it should say "$MAIL is a directory." or be silent. Instead it tells the user "You have mail.". If this isn't a bug, think about whether MAIL should have to be set to an mbox style drop for the rest of FreeBSD's life-- I hope not.

-Timothy