Re: Hammer or ZFS based backup, encryption

From: Kyle Butt <kylebutt@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 11:50:59 -0500

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 05:18:09PM +0100, Jasse Jansson wrote:

> On Feb 23, 2009, at 8:10 AM, Bill Hacker wrote:
>
>> Freddie Cash wrote:
*snipped*

>> But there we are, Startup 'seeding; is unavidable, but thereafter ...
>> among other things, looking to reduce the reliance on rsync (and
>> similar CVS'ish or git'ish techniques) having to 'inventory' stuff at a
>> high per-file level that a 'hammer mirror-stream' (or GMIRROR to
>> networked RAID) could do 'as you go along' at a lower level - closer to
>> the actual blocks as they are being written.
>>
>> How, and how well, would ZFS handle redundant pools on separate sites?
>>
>> And can that be a streaming process - even if that means the
>> redundancy target is r/o for 'the duration', as a hammer slave would
>> be?
>
> I have not tried it myself, but there is a ZFS send/receive command,
> that might do the trick.

I've set up a mirror of zfs remotely. We take snapshots once a minute via cron
and send them. There's an upper limit on the number of snapshots that can be
present, or the receive tends to slow way down and things like zfs list take a
long time.

But yes, it does the trick to have a live backup.