Re: cvsup

From: Bill Hacker <wbh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 11:31:36 +0000

Simon 'corecode' Schubert wrote:
Matthew Dillon wrote:
One of the original reasons for using cvsup was so people could maintain
local branches of the repository. I don't think people do this much
anymore, if they do it all. Disk space is so cheap these days that
keeping a master sync copy and a separate one for local work is not a big
deal.

People use git or hg nowadays :) I just can't stop nagging, it is unbelievably useful, especially for team work.

cheers
  simon

Several such options can co-exist. But developers and 'deployer/maintainer' admins have different needs.
- The devoloper needs fine-grain control of diverse options

- The end-user / admin needs protection from breakage or stupidity, doesn't want to know anything about granularity beyond CPU family and release number.

CVS has been the 'compromise' that is at least not harmful or overly demanding.

Rather than 'nag' - set up what you want and see who joins or lends a hand.

If it adds enough value to enough people, bandwidth and storage will be attracted to the solution.

If not, not. Yet.

;-)

Bill