Re: Hints on kernel config for a dula pII/450 system anyone?

From: Bill Hacker <wbh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 08:21:29 +0800

onflybsd.org> <450DE1EA.7090303@xxxxxxxxx>

Gergo Szakal wrote:
> Bill Hacker wrote:
>
>> Might sound harsh, but you'd be time and money (electric bill alone)
>> ahead to scrap that PII/450 antique.
>

> You are absolutely right, if this were an option, I'd do it, but this is
> not my machine, a friend asked me to set this up as a filtering bridge
> for him, and I wanted to install an OS that is a) capable of powerful
> packet filtering, b) has good SMP support (otherwise I'd have installed
> OpenBSD and forget, but now that's harsh :-P).

*BSD folk, unlike Penguins, are generally agnostic.

  Use whatever is the best 'fit for the purpose'.

> I'll convince the guy to get another machine, but TBH I'd like to try
> out DF in a production environment on a multiprocessor machine.

Therein lies justification for (perhaps), a mere Intel Dual-Core 3 GHz at
'remaindered' just-obsoleted silicon prices. Cheaper than latest' Intel and AMD-64.

Irish Alzheimer's here - so ISTR that DFLY is not entirely au fait with AMD-64
SMP hardware, but IS with Intel P6/Xeon SMP?

(someone who is more current will smack me with a cluebat in a moment)

;-)

Bill