Re: bsdstats.org

From: Erik Wikström <erik-wikstrom@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 20:25:36 +0200

On 2006-09-11 19:18, Adrian Michael Nida wrote:
<Snip/>
FreeBSD once had an "installation counter" many years ago
(it's long dead and gone), which worked exactly like that,
i.e. after finishing the actual installation, sysinstall
asked whether it should be reported.  If you said "yes", an
e-mail was sent to some pseudo account.
<Snip/>
This is the only one currently in existence that I'm aware of.
<Snip/>

IIRC, OpenBSD still has their dmesg@xxxxxxxxxxx mail account to collect
hardware information.  NYCBUG also has something similar:

http://www.nycbug.org/index.php?NAV=dmesgd;SQLIMIT=20

I'm content with the post-install "Would you like to submit your
information" question.  I don't know why on Earth this script has to be
put in periodic though.  What am I missing?

The goal is probably not to see how many BSDs are installed but rather how many are actually in use.

--
Erik Wikström