Re: bsdstats.org

From: Adrian Michael Nida <nida@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 13:18:27 -0400

<Snip/>
> FreeBSD once had an "installation counter" many years ago
> (it's long dead and gone), which worked exactly like that,
> i.e. after finishing the actual installation, sysinstall
> asked whether it should be reported.  If you said "yes", an
> e-mail was sent to some pseudo account.
<Snip/>
> This is the only one currently in existence that I'm aware of.
<Snip/>

IIRC, OpenBSD still has their dmesg@xxxxxxxxxxx mail account to collect
hardware information.  NYCBUG also has something similar:

http://www.nycbug.org/index.php?NAV=dmesgd;SQLIMIT=20

I'm content with the post-install "Would you like to submit your
information" question.  I don't know why on Earth this script has to be
put in periodic though.  What am I missing?

Adrian