Re: Distributed SCM

From: walt <wa1ter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 13:33:09 -0800

Peter Schuller wrote:
..Does Git provide sherry picking of patches and the
ability to maintain private branches while not loosing any version
control power? (I have no idea, not having used Git.)

I can tell you that one of the files installed by git is called 'git-cherry-pick'. I've never used it, so I can't tell you what it does, but the subject has been discussed on the git mailing list.

I dream of a future where I can maintain my own repository
(dfly/freebsd/whatever), apply my own patches and sherry pick other
3rd party patches from a number of unrelated repositories. :)

It sounds like bitkeeper and git are made-to-order for your wishes. Licensing is the major difference between the two ;o)

If this is important to you, you should read the git mailing list
on gmane.org.  Subscribe to gmane.comp.version-control.git
This will give you many months of history during git's design,
and should give you a good idea of what git can do.

http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git-core/

A complementary collection of shellscripts called 'cogito'
make git easier to use for us newbies.  It also includes a
tk-based GUI which makes it easy to study the commit history
of a source tree:

http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/cogito/

If any of our DragonFly developers have ever cursed CVS --
please take a look at git.  It was designed by developers
who cursed CVS every day ;o)