Re: User API still a goal?

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2008 12:38:50 -0700 (PDT)

:Hm, are you defining some kind of template, which defines at which
:position a specific value (of a specific type) is to be placed?  So, you
:don't send messages using a serializing format, instead you exchange the
:message format definition so that the client is able to generate binary
:messages herself. Is that the idea?
:
:The advantage over a serializing format, i.e. packing und unpacking, is
:that:
:...
:   Michael

    At this point you know as much as I do, I haven't touched that
    code in ages.

    But you have the jist of the idea.  The idea is to make the API as
    simple as possible.  In the case of libcaps, the library is presumably
    matched with the user binary and the kernel presumably has a local copy
    of its own idea of what the structures should be.  One or the other
    side has to the translation, but not both.

					<dillon@backplane.com>