Re: User API still a goal?

From: Chris Turner <c.turner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 00:55:39 -0400

Matthew Dillon wrote:

This has to do with the N:M threading concept. It has been abandoned in favor of 1:1.

    I think N:M is still desireable but what is needed is some sort of
    official micro-threading API where the programmer has full knowledge
    that a thread is a micro-thread, operating under different rules,
    as part of a set of micro-threads opreating within a POSIX thread.

this seems to be the consensus..

e.g: M:N is theoretically better, but also a PITA ..

http://www.netbsd.org/changes/changes-5.0.html#newlock2
http://www.freebsd.org/relnotes/CURRENT/relnotes/new.html
http://www.sun.com/software/whitepapers/solaris9/multithread.pdf

having a simple API for a default 1:1 + ability to override might be a nifty way to work around + build better systems though .. lots of dynamic languages do userland threading - having a standard API would make implementing these things much simpler I'd imagine..