Re: Getting wpi to work

From: "Nuno Antunes" <nuno.antunes@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 15:40:01 +0100

On 5/9/07, Nuno Antunes <nuno.antunes@gmail.com> wrote:
On 5/9/07, Sepherosa Ziehau <sepherosa@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/9/07, km b <kmb810@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 5/9/07, Sepherosa Ziehau <sepherosa@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I would like to see ppl with the hardware and time to work on a new
> > > driver for 3945 instead of struggling with the any porting of wpi
> > > (including netbsd's and freebsd's).  It does not work very well ever
> > > since it borned in OpenBSD, you can read various complains about it on
> > > their mail list yourself.
> >
> > I've got both. I'd like to work on the new driver rather than the port.
>
> Nice!
>

> > > Intel's new 3945 project should have provided a good reference driver:
> > > http://intellinuxwireless.org/
> > > But you still need to read the reference driver, which mainly depends
> > > on how much time you can spend on it and will not be difficult.
> >
> > I'd rather refrain myself from refering any gpl'd driver. I searched
>
> Nah, don't be frightened by the recent OpenBSD bcw stuffs.
> Referencing the registers, their values and order of register
> operations is quite different from taking the code itself directly.
>
> > for the specs for 3945 on
> > intel site but in vain. could you provide me with specs.
>
> They never gave out any specs, but you can try your luck by contacting them :)

Well, in fact the new iwlwifi driver is under a license similar to BSD
according to http://intellinuxwireless.org/LICENSE.iwlwifi-ucode (I am
no law expert though...)

Sorry, this is just for the microcode distribution.. The code itself is under GPL as per the License file on their latest snapshot..

Cheers,
Nuno