Re: Getting wpi to work

From: "Nuno Antunes" <nuno.antunes@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 14:52:17 +0100

On 5/9/07, Sepherosa Ziehau <sepherosa@gmail.com> wrote:
On 5/9/07, km b <kmb810@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/9/07, Sepherosa Ziehau <sepherosa@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I would like to see ppl with the hardware and time to work on a new
> > driver for 3945 instead of struggling with the any porting of wpi
> > (including netbsd's and freebsd's).  It does not work very well ever
> > since it borned in OpenBSD, you can read various complains about it on
> > their mail list yourself.
>
> I've got both. I'd like to work on the new driver rather than the port.

Nice!

> > Intel's new 3945 project should have provided a good reference driver:
> > http://intellinuxwireless.org/
> > But you still need to read the reference driver, which mainly depends
> > on how much time you can spend on it and will not be difficult.
>
> I'd rather refrain myself from refering any gpl'd driver. I searched

Nah, don't be frightened by the recent OpenBSD bcw stuffs.
Referencing the registers, their values and order of register
operations is quite different from taking the code itself directly.

> for the specs for 3945 on
> intel site but in vain. could you provide me with specs.

They never gave out any specs, but you can try your luck by contacting them :)

Well, in fact the new iwlwifi driver is under a license similar to BSD according to http://intellinuxwireless.org/LICENSE.iwlwifi-ucode (I am no law expert though...)

Cheers,
Nuno