Re: SMP/UP kernel S01E02

From: "Thomas E. Spanjaard" <tgen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 22:28:22 +0000

Dmitri Nikulin wrote:
On 3/24/07, Gergo Szakal <bastyaelvtars@gmail.com> wrote:
Well, I've been thinking of the SMP/UP issue many times, and the best solution would be if SMP kernels could boot on UP machines. I have plenty UP boxes and a few SMP boxes to test on. I am not claiming anyhing, this is just 'food for thought'.
Don't they? I thought the only problem for most cases is that the SMP
kernels do more heavyweight locking and are therefore slower, and
without the gain of parallelism on UP it's a pure loss.

DragonFly SMP expects multiple processors, and will die if it doesn't find any, iirc when it tries to detect other APICs. As an example of working SMP-kernel-on-UP-hardware, see NetBSD (which doesn't involve boottime binary patching, btw).

Cheers,
--
        Thomas E. Spanjaard
        tgen@netphreax.net