Re: Website Improvement Ideas

From: Christopher Rawnsley <rawprawns@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 02:47:33 +0100

On 15 Apr 2008, at 03:39, Justin C. Sherrill wrote:
I'm currently using WordPress for the Digest, which is PHP-based. The
software itself is nice, but that underlying language isn't likely to get
run on dragonflybsd.org machines anytime soon. Perhaps using something
like Movable Type (not PHP based, somewhat more robust) would be a more
comfortable choice - it's what I used to start the Digest, and the reasons
I had switched away are no longer present.

It sounds as if this has already been discussed. Can you share why PHP is undesirable and Perl is more (for that is what I am lead to believe that Movable Type is written in)? Also, i am curious as to why you switched away from MT in the first place?

That aside, I'd like to have the Digest on dragonflybsd.org and make it
possible for others to add to it; it'd be even more interesting to have a
developer talking about why they did what they did instead of just me
linking to it. Would I then have to stay more on topic? I don't know,
but I hope not.

I think this is good direction to go. It should make it feel like a more accessible community if users get to hear the voice of developers.

I've suggested turning the whole site into a wiki; everything on
dragonflybsd.org can be produced the same way on a wiki but with less
effort in terms of creation. Wikis tend to be messy, but with some
organizational work, it could turn out very well for us, since adding
files through CVS has turned out to be a rather high barrier for folks who
don't already know it.

I agree that setting up a wiki for the whole site does make things easier. I have done it in the past and it has worked well. I think the main gripe about the current wiki here is that it has no clear navigation. It is very much a wiki rather than a functional website. i don't know how flexible MoinMoin is but hopefully that can be changed easily so that all the good content on there can be found quicker.

What parts of .dragonflybsd.org are there? Using NetCraft I found wiki and leaf (The naming for "leaf" confuses me) as well as www and nntp. "crater" was mentioned there as well though it seems out of action at the moment. Are there anymore? I mention this so that information avoids getting repeated in multiple locations.

I have an idea about using man pages and a wiki together. I guess this may have been discussed before but just in case it hasn't... I think it would be great if we could some how integrate the man pages into a wiki like system in order to help keep are documentation as good as possible. But this shouldn't just be a one way thing and the documentation from the wiki should also be exportable back in to the offline man pages in the OS. Thoughts?