Re: Website Improvement Ideas

From: Christopher Rawnsley <rawprawns@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 00:50:28 +0100

On 10 Apr 2008, at 22:42, James Frazer wrote:
Okay I just want to summarise what would happen to existing content:

1.  History and Team are combined and renamed About as they seem to go
together, as the history page was rather short anyway -- certainly
undeserving of a link unto itself.

I think that putting the team information on the about is slightly unnecessary. A newcomer to the project doesn't really care about such things. I do think that maybe a link to further information on the about page which would give more in depth information on the project including team information.

2.  The Goals page is moved to the top as I think it's somewhat
important to newcomers who want a more detailed idea than the About
page provides

I think that this should be also worked in to the about page in a very brief form. There is a lot of information in there which is very technical that I think many newcomers would find overwhelming. However, if that person follows what is said on the about page they will search for more information they can be linked to from the about page.

3.  The Mascot & Images pages seemed without major value to me.  I
figure they can either be nuked, or any important info on them can be
moved to the wiki.

Totally agree. Maybe ol' Fred can make an appearance on the about page though. :)

4.  The Download page has been promoted to a slot closer to the top.
Something should be said about the page itself:  If I was someone
wanting to download DragonFly I'd have to do a lot of reading before
finding a useful download link on that page... this page could use
some tweaking.

While I agree that the download page should be nearer the top in a more obvious location I don't think that it necessarily needs a mention on the about page as it is now in a prominent position on the navigation bar.

5.  Bugs is combined with the page on the security officer PGP key as
it seems that they go together, and the security page was too short to
get a top-level link by itself.

Agree.

6.  It dawned on me that the Mail, News, and Archives links were
somewhat of a holy trinity, and surely far too insanely complicated
for any mere mortal to decipher... these all point to different ways
of accessing the same information -- right?   Well I would put them
all under the same page "Mail & Lists"

Totally agree!

7.  The Release link was removed as I think it can be quite easily
confused with Download -- Furthermore it exists on the main content
area and probably always will.  However, I recognize the difference
between "Download" and "Release" and think the only sane solution is
link to a redesigned Download page that will in itself require some
kind of sanity check so that it's actually possible to find something
to download.

I think you're right to have one link on the menu bar. On the download page, I think access to the ISO images should be in a more prominent position near the top. There should also be a link to release information close by. Many things could be done though and these are just a few quick ideas off the top of my head.

8.  Wiki was renamed to Documentation, and it's my opinion that's
where the documentation should go.  In the past I've observed
(exaggeration alert) a tendency to have 16 different versions of the
same information available in 12 different places...  This is too
cluttered and becomes a maintenance nightmare.

Agree.

9.  I'm not sure what can be done with the Donations page -- does
anyone actually donate?  I think I'd shove it onto the wiki... with a
link from the About page that can lead to the wiki entry.

Agree.

10.  The diary can be moved to the wiki -- I don't feel it's important
enough to be on the main page for two reasons:  1.  it's rarely
updated -- the last update was 8 months ago;  and 2.  Most of the
recent (and relevant) information is also on the Release page.

Agree.

11.  Digest is moved from status to Community as it seemed more
fitting there, and since Bugs was already moved this allows for the
Status section to go away.

I would also suggest that it be on the mainsite rather than off site. But I guess it is Justin's baby so it is up to him. I would consider renaming it to news...

I initiated a "redesign" of myself before writing this email. In my design and I have considered more about reducing the overall number of menu items. While this sometimes means that you have to use two clicks to get the same location I think that it may make things even easier. Interested to know other people's thoughts?

I tried my hand at redesigning the overall page as well. I'll put up my work up in due course to allow for a comparison but we share many of the same ideas about content. I think that perhaps the website should go that one step further and have some form of CMS that could be edited by anyone who doesn't particularly want to get in to the details of learning HTML, CSS etc.

--
Chris