Re: Fwd: question about library conflicts

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2008 15:09:50 -0700 (PDT)

:Greetings,
:
:Let's say I have a program 'A' that depends on library
:'L' version 1.0. The filename for the library is
:libL-1.0.so. I decide to install program B which
:requires version 2.0 of library L. This filename is
:libL-2.0.so. After upgrading library L to version 2.0
:program A no longer starts because it cannot find
:libL-1.0.so. Would it be ok to make a symlink of
:libL-1.0.so to point to libL-2.0.so so that programs
:looking for the older version could use the newer
:version?
:
:Thanks,
:John

    I've done that in the past with mixed results.  If it works, it works,
    if it doesn't, it doesn't.  Even if it works, though, you want to plan
    on ultimately rebuilding the software, or possibly even (if you have
    something that works), relinking it statically.

    Ultimately in-library symbol versioning will solve the problem.

					<dillon@backplane.com>