Re: wiki log of #dragonfly irc channel

From: Peter Avalos <pavalos@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2007 11:27:55 -0500

On Mon, Mar 05, 2007 at 08:16:04AM -0500, Adrian Michael Nida wrote:
> <Snip/>
> : I'm guessing you're serious, so I'll mention why this is a risky idea.
> : IRC has chewing-gum authentication and it's almost trivial for a
> : malicious bot to fool a server into ignoring people by pretending to
> : be them, and this can be done in many points*. Basically, the entire
> : utility of the logging bot is broken because it allows virtually
> : unauthenticated modifications to its behavior. Not to mention the
> : confusion that arises if an entire participant in a conversation has
> : their messages removed.
> <Snip/>
>
> I agree here.  I'd be willing to perform some s/USERNAME/ANONYMOUS/g magic
> in the messages.  That way, the message would be preserved, but it can't be
> tracked back to a given user.

When I read the original message I thought it was a joke.  Now that we're
getting serious, could we please stop?  The idea of obscuring an IRC log
is preposterous.  IRC isn't authenticated, and the log is only going to
show nicknames.  What the point of obscurity?  My vote is just leave it
as is.

--Peter