RE: wiki log of #dragonfly irc channel

From: "Adrian Michael Nida" <nida@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2007 08:16:04 -0500

<Snip/>
: I'm guessing you're serious, so I'll mention why this is a risky idea.
: IRC has chewing-gum authentication and it's almost trivial for a
: malicious bot to fool a server into ignoring people by pretending to
: be them, and this can be done in many points*. Basically, the entire
: utility of the logging bot is broken because it allows virtually
: unauthenticated modifications to its behavior. Not to mention the
: confusion that arises if an entire participant in a conversation has
: their messages removed.
<Snip/>

I agree here.  I'd be willing to perform some s/USERNAME/ANONYMOUS/g magic
in the messages.  That way, the message would be preserved, but it can't be
tracked back to a given user.

Adrian