Re: wiki log of #dragonfly irc channel

From: "B. Estrade" <estrabd@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2007 22:34:06 +0000

I tried my hand at some python the other day and pieced together an IRC
logging bot.  I placed it within the channel last night, and it's keeping
the logs under:

http://www.labthug.com/~adrian/LabBot/dragonflybsd/

In YYYY/MM/DD.html format

This is only my second python program, so it could probably use some work.
Some features I'd like to add are:

* Reconnect after disconnect
* Ability to fork into "server" mode so I can write startup/shutdown scripts

If any phython hackers on this list want to tutor me in the form of
examples, I'll be grateful.

Thanks,

Adrian

Nice one. Just realize that most people don't mind the last 100-1000 lines of chatting up so that others can "catch up", but providing 24/7 logging of a channel is a bit unnerving ... to me anyway. Maybe you can either only do the last few hundred lines or allow people to register themselves to be ignored:

example interaction with logbot:

me> logbot: ignoreme
logbot> me: ignored
me> logbot: status
logbot> me: ignored
me> logbot: unignoreme
lognot> me: unignored
me> logbot: status
logbot> me: unignored

In my mind this would ignore *any* message or action pertaining to
this person this person.  I think it goes with out saying that you
only ignore/unignore for explicit windows of time - I don't think
going back and erasing all mention of a person is required unless
explicitly requested:

me> logbot: eraseme
logbot> me: fo' real?
me> logbot: yes