Re: wiki log of #dragonfly irc channel

From: "Dmitri Nikulin" <dnikulin@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2007 09:18:09 +1100

On 3/3/07, Adrian Michael Nida <nida@musc.edu> wrote:
This is only my second python program, so it could probably use some work.
Some features I'd like to add are:

* Reconnect after disconnect
* Ability to fork into "server" mode so I can write startup/shutdown scripts

If any phython hackers on this list want to tutor me in the form of
examples, I'll be grateful.

I recommend using Twisted Python as a framework, which gives you an IRC protocol client out of the box, good efficiency, and very neat daemon behavior (using twistd, for instance).

For anyone who hasn't found it, this is the code:
http://www.labthug.com/~adrian/LabBot/LabBot.py

It's not beautiful but it's also not much work to clean up. I
recommend the next iteration get Twisted Python treatment. It's an
extra dependency, true, but it also gives you a lot more for free and
lends itself to much better reuse.

---
Dmitri Nikulin

Centre for Synchrotron Science