Re: Replacing Sendmail with Postfix in the base system

From: elekktretterr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 23:49:45 +1000 (EST)

> I dispute that. DragonFly will be just as suited for desktops as Linux is.
> Simply because X works and desktop environments work on it.

I really wish that. However, in the near coming days, noone will use
DragonFly on desktop simply because Linux and FreeBSD will have OpenGL
accelerated X for which you need 3rd party drivers. I briefly installed
KDE on FreeBSD without nvidia drivers. It was ok, but GUI was slow,
redrawing windows was slow(same on DragonFly), then I installed nvidia
drivers and now it's very smooth, ready for desktop use. Sadly, there
won't be nvidia drivers for DragonFly any time soon.

> I know sysadmins that hate postfix. Same goes for qmail or,
> heck,
> even Exchange (*shudder*).

I know sysadmins that hate $APPLICATION. The point was, great majority of
Linux admins just don't like Sendmail, who cares what they use instead?
Postfix seems to be the best replacement out of them all.

> You can have your "easy-to-use/great-performing/flexible" MTA-cake and eat
> it
> too, by using pkgsrc. No reason to spew anti-sendmail FUD. Sendmail is
> perfectly functional, and yes, even I use it for small setups. It's not
> hard,
> it just takes some reading of documentation.

So basically we are back to the "It's been there for ages, sometimes
working, sometimes not, but it's BSD written so we keep it there
irrespectively of whether its crap or not". Gee, and I thought DragonFly
was progressive.