Re: Replacing Sendmail with Postfix in the base system

From: Emiel Kollof <coolvibe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 15:13:02 +0200

Op woensdag 14 juni 2006 14:54, schreef elekktretterr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx:
> I don't see any point in having a small local-only MTA. Barely noone will
> choose DragonFly BSD as their desktop OS of choice. DragonFly is an OS for
> servers, and that includes mail.

I dispute that. DragonFly will be just as suited for desktops as Linux is.
Simply because X works and desktop environments work on it.

> Sure, old BSD users will have a strange fetishist nostalogy for Sendmail.
> If we are to have a full blown MTA such as Sendmail in the base system,
> why not have a mailserver that most Linux admins don't hate to use? Most
> people today install Postfix, not Sendmail to set up a mail server.

The choice of MTA is a matter of personal preference and maybe past
experience. I know sysadmins that hate postfix. Same goes for qmail or, heck,
even Exchange (*shudder*).

The fact is that the base system has an MTA. Historically, that's sendmail.
But that's not important. There's an MTA there, and if you don't want it, you
can get rid of it and use something else.

> You said users can set whatnot in make.conf, but having an
> easy-to-use/great-performing/flexible MTA by default in the system is just
> very comfortable. What we have now is a full blown MTA with cryptic
> configuration, a bug-ridden history and designed for 80's UNIX.

You can have your "easy-to-use/great-performing/flexible" MTA-cake and eat it
too, by using pkgsrc. No reason to spew anti-sendmail FUD. Sendmail is
perfectly functional, and yes, even I use it for small setups. It's not hard,
it just takes some reading of documentation.

Could we please end this bikeshed and paint it green like $DEITY intended?

Cheers,
Emiel