Re: Replacing Sendmail with Postfix in the base system

From: elekktretterr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 22:54:52 +1000 (EST)

I don't see any point in having a small local-only MTA. Barely noone will
choose DragonFly BSD as their desktop OS of choice. DragonFly is an OS for
servers, and that includes mail.
Sure, old BSD users will have a strange fetishist nostalogy for Sendmail.
If we are to have a full blown MTA such as Sendmail in the base system,
why not have a mailserver that most Linux admins don't hate to use? Most
people today install Postfix, not Sendmail to set up a mail server. You
said users can set whatnot in make.conf, but having an
easy-to-use/great-performing/flexible MTA by default in the system is just
very comfortable. What we have now is a full blown MTA with cryptic
configuration, a bug-ridden history and designed for 80's UNIX.