BSD Installer Technology Preview (2005.0721) Available - please help test

From: Chris Pressey <cpressey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 20:14:01 -0700

Hi folks,

Once again, a new technology preview of the BSD Installer is available,
and we would appreciate your help in testing it.

http://cvs.bsdinstaller.org/iso-images/dfly-2005.0721-installer-preview.iso.bz2

The main changes from the previous preview are:

- The (BIOS) partition editor has been largely re-written so that it's
  suitable for partitioning a disk that has existing operating system(s)
  on it, without affecting those other operating systems in any way.
  Certain things, like human-readable partition sizes, had to be
  sacrificed (they led to rounding errors, and have been replaced with
  exact sector counts.)

- A Bourne shell script of the installation session is recorded and
  saved to the temporary directory.  Running this script duplicates the
  actions of the installer exactly, and doesn't require any of the
  installer software.  The script can serve as either a way to automate
  installs for identical machines, or as a basis for creating your own
  custom automated install script.

- NLS actually works now.

- Various obvious and not-so-obvious bugs have been fixed.

What we could really use help testing are the following:

- Upgrading.  My rudimentary tests (upgrading recent DragonFly to
  even-more-recent DragonFly) indicate that it basically works.  But it
  would be very useful to find out whether upgrading from older
  DragonFly, or from FreeBSD 4.x, works just as well.

- Accepting IPv6 router advertisements, as a means of configuring a
  network interface.  I don't have an IPv6 network handy, so this
  feature is based entirely on theory.

Thanks!
-Chris