XFree86 freezes terminals

From: "M. Schatzl" <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 03:10:07 +0200

Hi list,

I don't know if this is specific to my case, but maybe somebody had similar problems. Since I read some posts the last few days about X setup without a flaw, I thought I'd give it a try, too.

I pkg_add'ed the package from GOBSD, and it installed without any sign that could make one suspicious. It starts and looks as usual, but when I try to switch to another VT, the whole machine gets kind of unresponsive. I can see the VT's screen, but neither keyboard nor mouse works then. If I switch back to X (VT8, if I remember right), the xterms are there, but don't get redrawn anymore. At this point the interaction freezes completely. Switching to other VT's doesn't work at all.

Loggin in over ssh is possible, but even after trying to kill X manually, the VT's and switching between them isn't possible. They're just plain dead.
X doesn't really die btw, the processes are still there, while the root-window and any other graphics stuff dissapeared; the startup messages of XFree are visible then.

After more than one kill -9:
874 ?? ZL 0:00.00 (XFree86)
859 v0 IL+ 0:00.00 /bin/sh /usr/X11R6/bin/startx
873 v0 SL+ 0:00.02 xinit /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc -- nolisten t

The box itself is in no way special: 800 MHz Athlon, 512 MB RAM, Savage Graphics Chip, 2 5400-Disks, noisy fan. World and kernel are from September, 29th.

I'd be grateful for any hints/explanations. Please ask if you need more information.

Thanks in advance /Markus