Re: Looking at giving DF a go... advice?

From: "Mark Cullen" <mark.cullen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2004 22:17:27 +0100

"Matthew Dillon" <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:200410092057.i99KvDtU073467@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> :Alright. I am guessing the performance difference between packages and
> :source compiled stuff isn't all that noticable anyway? I've never really
> :tried packages before (because ports are so easy to use :), but I always
> :read how compiling from source is better because it's faster and
optimised.

>     No, you won't notice any difference.

Good stuff! No big issue on the third party software side of things then.

> :Regarding you other post, I'll give it 5 gigs and see how it goes. On 5.x
> :think it uses about 60 meg swap when doing a buildworld, the laptop has
> :128meg of RAM.. so I think it should be "enough". I read a post of yours,
> :think, saying how 5.x relies on more L1/L2 cache and this laptop has a
> :Celeron CPU in it, so maybe I would see some sort of performance
improvement
> :installing 4.x or DF on it anyway :-)
> :
> :Cheers!
>
>     128MB of ram should work fine.  DragonFly ought to perform
significantly
>     better on a laptop (or any uniprocessor system) then FreeBSD-5.  The
>     only real issue is, as always, driver support, but if it works with
>     FreeBSD-5 then it will probably work with DragonFly.

Well I booted the live cd again like I said  would, the backlight goes off
when I close the lcd.. so that's ok. However, when I tried to load my sound
driver, t4dwave, I got a panic :(. On the bright side of things, I do
believe this is the AGP problem I had with FreeBSD, so it should be as
simple as patching agp_ali.c

I've posted a couple of times to try and get the patch included in FreeBSD
but never got any replies as far as I am aware. If I attempt an install of
DF and see if the patch works, would anyone here be interested in taking a
look at it and possibly getting it included in the tree? Would you like the
panic message? Alot of typing, but if you're interested i'll gladly type it
up.