Re: Wishlist for unfrozen base

From: "Simon 'corecode' Schubert" <corecode@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 04 Jul 2009 13:46:57 +0200

Hasso Tepper wrote:
* gcc 3.4 removal. There are two options - remove it entirely or just disable it by default (it still might be potentially useful, for example gcc34 in the pkgsrc will never support stack protection). Opinions?

Remove completely.

* gcc 4.x update. gcc 4.1.2 we use at the moment is too buggy - to the point where some projects ignore bugreports at all if gcc-4.1.x is in use (ffmpeg for example). We should decide what path to choose at all with it though. There is several issues with newer gcc's - there is a license issue (newer ones at some point use GPLv3) and gcc 4.3 and up have a more dependencies (do we want all these in the base?).

I don't think we need to care about GPLv3 in the toolchain. I ported gcc-4.4 in pkgsrc wip, so if that compiles base well (not sure if Sascha did a whole world/kernel run with it), we could import gcc-4.4.

> we still
have to decide whether it's OK to pull in GMP and MPFR libraries (needed for 4.3 and up).

That's a pain, yes. But in the long run we won't have a choice, I think. Porting is probably also only a one-shot thing.

* binutils update. The very same license issue potentially exists (2.18 and up are under GPLv3), but it would allow to use many performance improvements introduced in newer versions.

Likewise I think we should move forward there.

Corecode expressed his view that we shouldn't get rid of libc_r entirely - it's actually good potential testcase and I tend to agree with him. But we should do two things IMHO:

* move both libc_r.so and libthread_xu.so out from /usr/lib so no app has a chance to link against these directly (yes, corecode, I think now it's a good idea ;)

Agree.

* introduce stubs for stuff not in libc_r - barriers, spinlocks and some more

Will that be sufficient, will it work?

There are also smaller items in the wishlist like updating ncurses and gdb (hint! ;P), but ... Yeah, I want a pony as well ...

I think I started looking at gdb at some point. Will have to look again.

cheers
  simon

--
  <3 the future  +++  RENT this banner advert  +++   ASCII Ribbon   /"\
  rock the past  +++  space for low CHF NOW!1  +++     Campaign     \ /