Re: Wishlist for unfrozen base

To: Simon 'corecode' Schubert <corecode@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Sascha Wildner <saw@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 04 Jul 2009 14:18:30 +0200

Simon 'corecode' Schubert schrieb:
* gcc 4.x update. gcc 4.1.2 we use at the moment is too buggy - to the point where some projects ignore bugreports at all if gcc-4.1.x is in use (ffmpeg for example). We should decide what path to choose at all with it though. There is several issues with newer gcc's - there is a license issue (newer ones at some point use GPLv3) and gcc 4.3 and up have a more dependencies (do we want all these in the base?).

I don't think we need to care about GPLv3 in the toolchain. I ported gcc-4.4 in pkgsrc wip, so if that compiles base well (not sure if Sascha did a whole world/kernel run with it), we could import gcc-4.4.

Yes I did. There were some linking errors for LINT if I remember correctly, but that was it. Never tried running anything, of course. :)

Sascha

--
http://yoyodyne.ath.cx